The Take It Back Movement has raised the alarm over what it describes as plans by the Department of State Services to assassinate pro-democracy campaigner and Publisher of SaharaReporters, Omoyele Sowore.
In a statement on Monday, Director-General of TIB, Joshua Adeoye, said it had information that the government planned to surround Sowore in prison with hardened criminals, who will do the regime’s bidding to kill him in exchange for their freedom.
Femi Falana (SAN), who is Sowore’s lawyer, on Sunday, raised the alarm over a request filed by the DSS at the Federal High Court in Abuja seeking to transfer Sowore to prison.
Adeoye said, “The ultimate aim of the plan is to have Sowore attacked, assaulted, and poisoned in prison. The planned transfer ensures that Sowore will be surrounded by a den of hardened criminals amenable to the government’s bidding while in prison. As Sowore would no longer be in the custody of the DSS, the government and the DSS are seeking plausible deniability by blaming “unnamed prisoners” for the planned attack. Trusted sources with conscience within the ranks of the government and its security agencies made it known that this plan had been hatched and is now being expedited because all overtures to Sowore to keep quiet about the failures of the Buhari government upon release had failed. Our sources also revealed that with all the international attention that had followed Sowore’s illegal abduction and incarceration, the DSS would prefer that the plan not be carried out in their custody.
“This must not be allowed to happen. Nigeria is a democracy and Buhari must not be allowed to silence valuable voices of dissent and accountability, dragging us back to the dark days of his dictatorship. The Buhari government must be aware that it will be held responsible for any harm or otherwise that comes to Sowore.”