Over 20,000 Nigerians Killed By Boko Haram Between 2011 And 2015 – Presidency

1
82
refugees-and-returnees-who-have-fled-boko-haram-620x400-620x360
The Presidency revealed that at least 1.8 million Nigerians have lost their homes due to the activities of Boko Haram.

Not less than 20,000 people were killed in Nigeria by the dreaded Boko Haram terrorist sect between 2011 and 2015, the presidency has revealed.

Also, about 1.8 million people were displaced from their homes, towns and villages by the Islamists group.

The Senior Special Assistant to the Vice-President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Laolu Akande, disclosed this in a statement made available to newsmen on Monday.

Akande, quoted the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Internally Displaced Persons, Dr. Marian Masha, as revealing the figure from a report titled, “Nigeria Recovery and Peace Building Assessment.”

w-initiative

He pointed out that the RPBA discoveries placed the amount of fund need to reconstruct and rehabilitate six states in the North-East at about $9bn.

Akande further quoted Masha as saying that Borno State was worse hit by the crisis with a loss of $6bn.

He said the North-East region was hit with damages worth $3bn in housing alone.

“Dr. Masha added that no fewer than 20,000 lives were lost while 1.8 million people were displaced by the Boko Haram insurgency and the planned interventions are to be implemented over time, in view of resources that are available for its implementation,” he said.

He said Masha also described recovery in the North-East as a priority of the Federal Government.

Akande said the pre-financing assessment jointly carried out by the federal and states governments alongside global partners were completed at a workshop in Abuja last week.

The World Bank was said to be ready to make available about $800m for the recovery of the North-East.

“The assessment and validation exercises completed in Nigeria’s North-East geopolitical zone have revealed the quantum of damage and the requirements to address the post-conflict recovery.

“For instance, while the extent of damage was put at about $9bn, the assessment revealed that over $6bn would be needed for immediate and near term stabilisation and recovery of the region,” Akande added.

SEE ALSO: Boko Haram Attacks In 2015 Have Killed More Than 1,000 Civilians – Human Rights Watch

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Got a news tip/information for us? Email info@thesheet.ng

Follow us on twitter @thesheetng

BBM Channel: C0042057A

Like us on Facebook @ www.facebook.com / The Sheet

This is a 2015 Copyright of thesheet.ng. You may wish to request express approval from thesheet.ng to republish

SUBSCRIBE TO TheSheet TV

YOUR REACTION?
  • Nawaooo 
  • OMG 
  • LOL 
  • Amazing 
  • So sad 
  • Boring 
FavoriteLoadingRead it Later
Facebook Comments

1 COMMENT

Leave a Reply