The Allied Congress Party of Nigeria (ACPN), has threatened to sue its former presidential candidate, Oby Ezekwesili.
Recall that Ezekwesili in the early hours of Thursday announced that she is stepping down her candidacy to run for president in next month’s presidential election.
She said the decision was to allow her devote her time to building a coalition that would tensure that neither the All Progressive Congress (APC) or the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) win the election.
Her announcement immediately generated a lot of responses from Nigerians.
However, the decision of the former minister did not go down well with the officials of the ACPN who accused her of not officially informing them of her decision.
Addressing journalists in Abuja, national chairman of the ACPN, Alhaji Ganiyu Galadima, who doubled as Ezekwesili’s running mate fired several accusations at the foremer presidential candiate.
1. He said Ezekwesili only wanted to use the party platform to negotiate for the position of Finance Minister.
2. He added that she did not inform the party that she was going to withdraw.
3. Galadima accused Ezekwesili of not showing any seriousness in her campaign.
4. The ACPN chairman said Ezekwesili was the only presidential candidate who was so militant in her campaign without any tangible thing on ground.
5. The ACPN chairman, the party’s fee for expression of interest and nomination form is N10.5 million but Madam Oby only offered N100,000..
The ACPN chairman also announced the decision of the party to support President Muhammadu Buhari’s reelection bid.
In his words:
“The reason for calling this press conference is to let the world know about the presidential aspiration of Dr. Oby Ezekwesili, which in actual fact, is not the truth,” Galadima began.
“I have been put into confidence by one of her aides named Iyinoluwa Aboyeji that she only wanted to use the platform of the ACPN to negotiate to be Nigeria’s finance minister.
“This is why she does not deem it fit to inform the party whose mandate she is holding. If you observe, Dr. Oby Ezekwesili, is the only presidential candidate who was so militant in her campaign without any tangible thing on ground to indicate any seriousness in the prosecution of her campaign.
“No campaign secretariat, billboard or great commitment on ground to indicate any seriousness. It is on this ground that the ACPN is withdrawing support for her presidential aspiration and endorsing the second term bid of President Muhammadu Buhari to take Nigeria to the next level.
“We may take her to court during her brief sojourn,” he added.