Reports from The Nation reveals that two unnamed siblings were on Friday, burnt to death in an early morning inferno that razed a 3 bedroom flat in the Navy Officers’ quarters camp site, Kirikiri, Lagos state.
According to the report, the incident occurred at about 3:30am, killing two brothers aged 6 and 9 years, whose father, a Navy Captain, was reportedly out of town with their mother.
The fire was said to have been put out by a combined team of Fire Service, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) and policemen from the Kirikiri division, at about 4:30am.
Although reports claim the fire broke out when all the 4 occupants of the flat were fast asleep, it was gathered that the house-help, Patience, rescued the first son, Ayomide, 13. Unluckily, the younger sons did not survive the inferno allegedly caused by electrical surge.
When Micheal Akindele, the General Manager of LASEMA was contacted, he said the remains of the deceased were taken to the Navy hospital in the area, adding that the other two occupants of the flats were also taken to the hospital for further examination and treatment.
According to him, “Preliminary report revealed that the fire was caused by electrical spark from one of the rooms in the building, spreading to the whole apartment.
“Prompt intervention of the fire service stopped the fire from spreading to surrounding buildings,” Akindele added.
He concluded by appealing to Lagosians to conduct proper checks on cables and electrical installations to avoid unnecessary loss of lives and property.
Got a news tip/information for us? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on twitter @thesheetng
BBM Channel: C0042057A
Like us on Facebook @ www.facebook.com / The Sheet
This is a 2015 Copyright of thesheet.ng. You may wish to request express approval from thesheet.ng to republish