Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai on Tuesday announced that the death toll as a result of the communal clash in the Kajuru Local Government Area of the state has risen to 130 as against the previous figure of 66.
El-Rufai disclosed this while addressing State House correspondents after briefing a security meeting which was presided over by President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
The Governor had earlier on Friday announced that 66 persons were killed by unknown attackers there.
Briefing Journalists on recent development, El-Rufai said it was a case of genocide adding that those doubting the Kajuru killings are “grossly irresponsible”.
He said: “I think that anybody that is still questioning whether these attacks took place or not is being grossly irresponsible. I think as the governor of the state, and everyone knows me and my records of public service, I would not be irresponsible enough to stand before the media and say something has happened that has not happened. I don’t work based on telephone calls for rumours.
“As governor of the state, the first thing I receive every morning is a security briefing on what happens in the last 24 hours. That is the first thing I read and I ask questions and I work on the basis of security briefings from the experts, the Garrison Commander, the commissioner of police, the head of the air force. We have every security agency in Kaduna state and they send me briefings including the DSS. I work only on that basis.
“Anybody that wants to contradict what I said should have superior information and it is impossible for you other than the president of the country to have superior information that I have about my state. So, people are being grossly irresponsible. I don’t know what their agenda is. But I know there is a prevailing narrative in the Nigerian media that only certain lives are more important than others. We see that clearly in the slant of reporting and the denial.”