It was a harvest of tears in Gaun community, in the Magboro area of Ogun State, as a set of twins got razed in an inferno that rocked their apartment as they were about to have their dinner.
The deceased twins identified as Taiye and Kehinde Oluwasegun, were sent to their early graves at about 8pm on Tuesday, October 11, 2016.
The fire was said to have started after a brother to the deceased identified as Iyanu, mistakenly tripped over a jerrycan of fuel and spilled some of its content in the sitting room and while their mother cleaned the spillage, the fuel was said to have flowed to a lantern in the house.
Residents, who were alerted by calls for help, reportedly rescued Iyanu; the second child, Korede; and their parents but the twins were not as lucky.
According to Punch, Korede, six, who sustained burns in the leg, disclosed that his father, Aina, was about taking their generator outside when his sister fell.
He said: “My daddy has two generators. We use the big one to pump water, while the small one is for the house.
“My daddy had put the small one in the room to pour petrol into it before taking it to the cage that was outside. My mummy was preparing food in the kitchen that time.
“My sister, who didn’t know there was a jerrycan on the floor, tripped over it. My mum then took the mop to clean spilled petrol. She was doing that when the fire started. There were six of us in the house: my dad and mum, my sister, the twins and me.”
Got a news tip/information for us? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on twitter @thesheetng
BBM Channel: C0042057A
Like us on Facebook @ www.facebook.com / The Sheet
This is a 2016 Copyright of thesheet.ng. You may wish to request express approval from thesheet.ng to republish.